I was working on a Customers Laptop and I could not change the background picture… It didn’t matter if I tried a different theme or even just trying to selecting a different picture. It would just revert back the the original wallpaper.. Well it appears the TranscodedWallpaper.jpg file has become corrupted.. And the steps i used to fix this problem are as follows.
- Click Start, paste the following text into the search box, and then press Enter %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\
- Note: Make sure you have the option checked: Show hidden files, folders, and drives in your folder options. Steps to check are as follows.
- Click the Organize menu entry and then click the Folder and Search Options
- This will bring up the Folder Options dialog box ; click on the View tab
- In the View tab make sure the Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives checkbox is filled in.
- When you’re finished, click the OK button
- Right-click the TranscodedWallpaper.jpg file, and then click Rename.
- Change the file name to TranscodedWallpaper.old, and then click Yes when you are prompted.
- If slideshow.ini is listed, double-click this file. Slideshow.ini should open in Notepad. Select all the text in slideshow.ini if any exists, and then press Delete on the keyboard.
- On the File menu, click Save.
- Close Notepad.
- Close the Windows Explorer window, and then browse to the picture that will be set as the background image.
- Try to apply a background picture again.
Hope this helps.. Posted by Troy Witmer